Saturday 5 February 2011

Who are we staying connected to?

I am currently sat on the train down to London from my beloved city of Newcastle. Why?
Because I am connected to someone and something bigger than myself and I am determined to stay connected.
As a follower of Christ my primary connection is with Him, but it is not with Him alone. But before you start shouting "Burn the heretic", hear me out.
Firstly God set the precedent in Genesis 2:18 when He said "it is not good for man to be alone..." We were created to connect to each other for relationship.
Then as we look throughout the word of God there are many examples of Godly connections
- Jonathan & David
- Elijah & Elisha
- Naomi & Ruth
- Joshua & Caleb
- Paul & Timothy
- Paul & Silas
- Paul & Barnabas
- Paul & Luke
I guess Paul really understood the value of connection.

I want to encourage you to make a connection and then work at it. We so often expect others to do the running but if it is a connection that we desire then be prepared to do everything you can to make it work. I was chatting with a friend yesterday about a pastor who is a mutual acquaintance. He doesn't really make an effort to connect with other pastors and therefore does not seem to be growing or developing in his capacity. I have realised that I can't, and don't want to do this journey alone, and I know that my strength is the people I make an effort to place myself with.
So with this in mind, here are a few keys from John 15:1-17 to making connections work-
1. Be connected to someone bigger than ourselves. The branch connects to the vine
2. Be connected to someone who helps us grow. If you don't show the fruit there is no purpose for the connection.
3. YOU make the effort to stay connected, don't expect them to. Abide in their world and they will be in yours. Check out Elijah & Elisha or Naomi & Ruth.
4. Do what they say.
5. Friendship flows from serving. Get the serving right first.
6. You will hear their heart if you are their friend.

Anyway, I am on my way to Hillsong London to get into the world of & stay connected with my pastor, Gary Clarke. Hope this helps.
Let me know your thoughts or questions.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Probably your best blog yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Jesus called peter to step out of the boat and walk on water(mathew 14:27-31 he walked on water for a few seconds before he looked down and sank. Jesus called you to step out of the boat many years ago and you have never looked down which means you continue to walk on water to this day and will never ever sink...GOD BLESS YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing